Monday, June 24, 2013

Talk Less, Do More

Some people might say I am a talker. I prefer to say that "I like the art of conversation." Either way, I had to learn this lesson first hand. I still think it is the best way to build report with some one and it is the fastest way to FULLY communicate. But, you have to know your limits. This is the hardest part for most people. There are three things that talking less promotes.

1. Lets others think for themselves.
2. Adds a bit of mystery about you.
3. You are learning more!

Here is your new goal. The next time you are speaking with someone, make sure you talk less than they do. The easiest way to do that is by asking questions. As them to expand on what they are talking about or why they feel that way about the subject. You will be surprised how well this works.

Next, make sure you are not starting conversations without a clear purpose. Have an objective when you are speaking to someone (especially at work).

You will notice how quickly your conversations end and how fast you can get to the next thing. The "next thing" doesn't always have to be work related. It could be that you ant to go and relax, either way, talking less gets you there quicker.

I am not suggesting that you be rude, just that you be a little quieter.

Give these tricks a chance and let me know how it goes. It is great reading the emails and comments I get from all of you.

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment